Suitable for all specs
Get to grips with the challenging world of Media Theory!
Strengthen understanding with these detailed and accessible notes and activities specifically designed for A Level Media Studies.
- Covers media theories for all four frameworks: Language, Representation, Industry and Audience.
- Enhances learning with varied activities, including extension tasks and further reading suggestions for high achievers.
- Plus exam advice and annotated sample essay answers equip students with the tools they need to integrate media theory into their exam answers and NEA assignments to achieve top marks.
- Timeline of Media Theory
- Key terms glossary
- Answers to all activities
- Original illustrations
- Media Language Theories: semiotics, narratology, genre theory, structuralism and postmodernism / Barthes, Todorov, Neale, Lévi-Strauss, Baudrillard
- Representation Theories: identity, feminism, gender, ethnicity and postcolonial theory / Hall, Gauntlett, van Zoonen, hooks, Butler, Gilroy
- Industry Theories: power, regulation, and cultural industries / Curran and Seaton, Livingstone and Lunt, Hesmondhalgh
- Audience Theories: media effects, cultivation theory, reception theory, fandom, end of audience / Bandura, Gerbner, Hall, Jenkins and Shirky
“A very comprehensive resource which covers all the required AL theories in depth. There is useful contextual information on the theorists which allows the students to understand the theorists area of expertise and their role in critical perspectives. Each theory includes useful activities for in-class discussion and extension tasks. This is a well differentiated resource. The theories are really well explained and offer enough depth to challenge the high able but enough clear scaffolding to offer a new perspective to lower able students. The further reading section enables higher-attaining students to go beyond the requirement of the theory however the resource arguably already offers an in-depth explanation of each theory, certainly well above the requirements for the A Level courses. The three essay questions and corresponding answers are good at showing how to ‘apply’ the theory – this is something really interesting I will take more into my own teaching. Fantastic resource – have already told colleagues at work to look out for it when it gets released!” – D Soltysik, Teacher & Peer Reviewer
Includes photocopiable master with site licence; electronic copies available. Orders are normally dispatched in 2-5 working days.
Price is £79
Click here for full details and to order.