- Set the scene with contextual information provided on all relevant periods, including a timeline of key works
- Introductory vocabulary gives students a foundation for study
- Thorough analysis of the genre using Eduqas’s musical elements ensures all aspects are covered
- Keywords are defined throughout, and a full glossary reinforces the essential terminology
- Learning activities, covering unfamiliar listening and transcription, get students familiar with the music and teach analysis skills
- Information about the exam shows students exactly what to expect
- Concise revision summaries bring it all together
- Exam-style questions, including short-answer questions, musical dictation and longer, 10-mark questions, give students the practice they need
Area of Study 1: The Western Classical Tradition
Give students broad exposure to the symphonic genre with analysis of wider listening pieces from across the Classical and Romantic eras. Comprehensive analysis and consolidating activities encourage students to fully appreciate how the development of the symphony and orchestra became a force to be reckoned with in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries!
Broken down by musical element, this guide incorporates key wider listening pieces of the period such as:
- Haydn, Symphony No. 101 ‘The Clock’: Movement 1
- Schubert, Symphony in C major ‘The Great’: Movement 1
- Berlioz, Symphonie fantastique
- Liszt, Von der Wiege bis zum Grabe: ‘Der Kampf ums Daseins’
And more… including Mendelssohn and Strauss!
A very detailed resource, structured to enable a thorough understanding of the development of the symphony from classical to romantic… Exercises move from straightforward, one word answers through multiple choice and short answers to longer answers, giving students a scaffolded approach… The guidance for answering questions is very useful, as are the descriptions of question types… It is also refreshing to see some less common musical examples, such as the Liszt… Very precisely tailored to the needs of the exam… It would give students a clear path to tackling real exam questions. – R Birtles, Music Teacher & Peer Reviewer
Includes photocopiable master with site licence; electronic copies available. Orders are normally dispatched in 2-5 working days.
Price is £74
Click here for full details and to order.